Welcome to St. James Armenian Apostolic Church of Los Angeles. This church has a great history of progress, growth, and development. As early as 1941, a committee was organized, and by April of 1942, the first parish assembly was held in a converted residence on West Adams Boulevard and consecrated on December 27, 1942. The parish grew rapidly after the end of World War II as families moved to the Los Angeles area. The growth began with a new auditorium dedicated in 1949 and a new sanctuary and classroom buildings were consecrated in December 1957. The move to our present parish site at Slauson and LaTijera in southwest Los Angeles began in January 1964 when the property was acquired and the first structure of the tan auditorium was built. The auditorium was used temporarily for church services and underground parking structures were completed in 1965.
We were honored and proud when His Holiness Vazken 1. Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians officiated at the Groundbreaking ceremonies for the new sanctuary on May 19, 1968. Construction was completed and the sanctuary was consecrated on March 21, 1971. At this time, the auditorium was enlarged and renamed St. James Gogian Hall in recognition of the role Mr. Gogian had played I in the building campaign for the new sanctuary and expansion of the hall.
A major phase of development was the completion of the St. James Sunday School in May of 1974. These classrooms are used primarily for the Sunday School and Armenian School. The St.James Haiganosh Dulgarian Hall is a part of this building and was dedicated in June 1975. There is also in this structure, the St. James Library, which is open to one and all.
The church thrives by the contribution, strength, and vitality of the various church organizations and under the leadership; and guidance of the Parish and the Parish Priest and the Parish Council. Fr. Haroutioun Tachejian is the present Parish Priest serving since September 2011. Parishioners enjoy attending the Fellowship Club, the Mr. and Mrs. Club, the Ladies Society, the ACYO for our youth, and the Sunday School. The church has a beautiful choir as well as devoted deacons and acolytes serving on the altar. Every Sunday, following church services, a coffee hour is held with traditional Armenian refreshments and affording parishioners and the opportunity to meet and visit with the Armenian faithful.